Monday, May 28, 2012

Aim For Boredom

Aim for boredom... and find history...

I'm currently sitting in Lexington, KY... when I arrived this afternoon it was 91'... too hot to do the run I was hoping for, but not too hot to take a long walk and explore the cute areas I could see from my 12th floor window.

After walking for an hour, I'm determined to come back when it's not a holiday and everything is closed... Cute stores, lots of yummy looking restaurants...  BOO!!! Come explore with me!

First on my impromptu walking tour... an old burial ground used until the cholera epidemic in 1833... Love the old country church feel...

I follow the street and look around for the next historical marker... I'm on a mission to learn about the area I'm walking through... loving the old buildings... drooling over a few private homes... and I find the birthplace of Mary Todd Lincoln... Must I tell you who that is?  

Next to Mary Lincolns birthplace is the beautiful church I saw from my hotel...  A quick picture and off to look for more signs... sniff sniff sniff... which way do I go?

I find a not so thrilling looking older building but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the name of the place... the flags all say "The Village Idiot"... Hey y'all!  I found the home of the village idiot... Send all VI's here!  Back to their birthplace!

I make a right and walk down the street... and to my left a see a bunch of signs in front of a large building... Ooooh lets go check it out... It is the county historical building...  with tons of statuary and signage and I'm in hog heaven.

The water fountain I thought was adorable... and then I looked down... and saw that even in 1921, they were thinking about their dogs... a place for doggies to drink on walks too... how cute is that?

Next we come to John Hunt Morgan, who (on the back of the sign) became a patron of lost causes... Gotta love someone who fights for the underdog... and... he's on a horse... Is that because it's Lexington or because he was a small man who needed to feel taller on a horse?  :)

My final stop before it's time to go relax in my room and try to wind down and pass out for my 4am wake up call tomorrow... Is two interesting buildings side by side... I go in search of their corner stones (always on the older buildings it seems)... The taller building looks like the beginning of the cleaner Deco era... The shorter building looks Victorian/Gothic by the gargoyles...  I find the dates... The smaller building was built in 1891... The end of the era of Victorian/Gothic... and the taller building 1907... Right at the beginning of the cleaner Deco era... Damn I'm good.

I'm missing my antique dealer years I think... Our economy needs to get better so I can go back to my junkin days...

I love overnights like this... I need to come back here soon.








No comments:

Post a Comment