Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Aim for Cold Weather

Yesterday I achieved my goal of the past week... to get the kids to school and then get myself to San Francisco to see friends and family.  Anyone that non-revs knows that taking any flight other than the first flight of the day is risky... yet I needed to do my mom duties before I could escape for a weekend for ME.  Direct flights to SF went to hell...  The normal suspects backed up with stand-bys.  I chose to do a two airline jump.  Delta economy comfort the first leg and a bulkhead seat with a lovely view on United the second leg.  I thought for sure I was going to have to fly three flights to get to San Francisco yet a miracle happened...  a flight was delayed and had four seats available.  I ran to the gate, was issued a boarding pass and sighed with relief knowing I was getting in before dinner... More chick time with my girl Sonya.

Weather in SF was squirrely so we came in from the North over SF rather than from the South over San Jose.  I LOVE coming in from the North.  With a lil "excuse me" and smile I leaned over the sweet young Irish guy next to me and took a picture...  I did mention this MILF had a lovely view the second flight didn't I?  Drool and click... "Thank you."  My first view of the new Bay Bridge.

After a night full of good wine and catching up, Sonya asked if her cats would bother me.  Bring it!  Her cats made me feel like I was home... Don't tell Avery I cheated on him with this sweet lil thing.  This lil boy loves me...

We got up early this morning and did a long walk in a misty rain that culminated at Starbucks... Then we went to Yoga.  I think I may be more healthy here lol... San Carlos has changed alot since I lived here 20 years ago.  Walking through the town I could see the changes close up.  Some good, some bad.  Some of my favorite dives are gone.  Times are a changing... or I'm getting old... Or both.  :)

It's one of those rare times of year where the Bay Area is warmer than Atlanta.  I left home yesterday and it was 28'.  I got to the Bay Area and it was 49'.  Today Atlanta is 54'... and San Carlos is 58'.  At that temp I will take EVERY degree I can get.... Brrrr... It stayed misty the whole weekend but I was content to walk around in it and just breathe in what I will always call home.

Mom grabbed me around noon that day.  We hit all of our favorite San Carlos area antique stores and then went to one of the places that I must go to every visit....  See's.  California Crunch...  Rum Nougat... Marzipan...  Dark Raspberry.  Yeah... One of each please... or maybe two...

I didn't get to the one place on my list that I thought to that day...  Copenhagen Bakery.  Their Rum Logs are simply divine... Next trip I'll have to get a dozen to make up.

We met my childhood friends Debbie, Gina and Robbie.  Deb and Gina grew up on my street.  We've been friends since Kindergarten.  The type of life long friends that you love seeing, they kick your ass, and will love you through all your ups and downs.  I have no blood siblings.  I chose mine.  These girls are my life and my heart.

Robbie, I met a little later down the road in High School when I dated her brother Robert.  Robert's family adopted me and Robert became one of my best friends... Robbie is my "little sister".  One that I carefully coached not to become a bitch when she tried out for cheerleading... and explained that if she didn't listen I would beat the bitch out of her.  I'm happy to report that she listened and we've remained close over the years...

Saturday mom and I wandered down to Santa Cruz for more antiquing and more chocolate (MacKenzies)...  Spent the afternoon grabbing little bits of pretty things... enough that I had to borrow a suitcase to get home with.  Oops how did I do that?

I love driving up and down the coast.  The fields were in bloom with mustard...  the water was crazy rough due to the weather.  When Mother Nature is angry she's beautiful.  Pictures never give enough credit to what I'm seeing.  I've always wished I had the talent that some photographers have... where they catch that AHA moment.

I ran Half Moon Bay that afternoon.  Another favorite activity when I'm there.  I love to look at the shops, the people, the homes and smell the ocean smells...  That run never seems long and the night came on too soon.

We ended the day as a quiet family day getting what I'd truly come for... my parents, and my stepfathers deviled eggs and killer Cosmos.  Mmmm... life is good.  Notice there's a trend here... Food.  Gotta eat everything you can when you go home.

Sunday we had family coming over to visit.  Mom and I sat around at breakfast pondering whether or not we should have a cake for desert.  I asked who's birthday was next in our family and she mentioned my "uncle" Jim.  I calculated the years in my head and realized that it was Jim's 60th birthday and grinned.  I'm notorious in my family for planning 0 birthdays.  Fortunately for him, I didn't have any time to roast him... but it was a great reason for a yummy cake.  :)

I got what I came for.  Time by myself with mom, my childhood friends, and my closest family.  Rejuvenated with a heart full of love and laughter, I made it home on the red eye... Grateful for those that have loved me all these years.  I love them all madly, and without them I'd be lost.



Btw... Happy Birthday Jim.  May you have many more... and I'll do what I can to roast you on your 70th!  Love you!








No comments:

Post a Comment