Monday, May 14, 2012

Aim For Garden Pests

Ok this is gonna be a quick one...

The freebie tomatoes I received last night, I had to plant today because I knew they wouldn't survive 48 hours post transplant in pots... I was told these plants usually get insanely tall and needed cages... so, off to Lowes I went...  2 cages later... they are simply going to have to share...

My freebie tomatoes turned into $16 tomatoes... I decided I needed Basil (with all those tomatoes, Basil is a requirement)... and I'd try to tempt fate and bunnies one more time with another attempt at Okra... Last year the bunnies ate every batch I planted... I'm hoping my friendly dead rat snake got them all.  I also looked at the clearance rack and found two asiatic lillies on sale for $1.50 each... Thank you very much, one yellow and one orange Lily are now planted on my ridge.

This is what my ridge looked like today... All those deep read Lilies... LOVE them!  Next year the orange and yellow will bloom changing up the mix... :)

Speaking of freebies... I have volunteer Cilantro all over my garden... I do appreciate these herbs that chose to reseed themselves... Actually, I think the shout out has to go to the birds who eat the seeds and toss half of them to the wind...

Another freebie that is going mad is my butterfly bush... given to me when I moved here nearly 4 years ago... My boo and I cut it down to a reasonable size two months ago...  Today it's blooming all over and the tallest parts are about... ooooh 7' tall... Yeah, it's gonna need a haircut in the fall...  But it's beautiful now, and the birds love it as a perch waiting for their turn in the Ragle bath...

So far my veggies are being undisturbed by nature...  My two eggplants look fabulous...  The beans and peas are going to town.  It makes me believe the rat snake ate healthily prior to being hit by a car... If the bunnies come back, I'm buying a snake... lol...

The other day my boo told me it was time to trim back the tomato plants... He knows I HATE hurting my little plants... but I took a deep breath and stripped the lil babies down to their ankles... Hopefully, I've done a sufficient job... If not, boo can drive his cute tight lil butt up here and do the rest of the dirty work...






I can't remember the tomato type to the left... But the one on the right is an Old German.  Mr Sprechen Sie Deutch was stripped and attached to the fence...

My Juliet's were also stripped and attached to the fence for support.  These I've got down to a fine science.  Love my Juliet crops year after year... They give me just enough tomatoes weekly to make salsa... along with the cilantro and onions and peppers in my garden.  mmmm....


I planted the Lilies and all the veggies and herbs... attached the tomatoes to their cages, sticks and fences... Then I went to my neighbors and planted her rosebush that she received from our walk Friday night.  Green and thumb and Kelly go together like oil and water... I've become guardian of a knock out rose next door...  Thank God they tend to be self sufficient...  But I'm pretty positive I felt it shake when I planted it... ;D

Children are home now... It's time to make dinner and get ready for my day line tomorrow...

Peace out and pray for the knock out rose...

No comments:

Post a Comment