Thursday, July 5, 2012

Aim For Fat Cells

I have just had a couple of amazing days.  I'm feeling so blessed... and also a bit bereft...

My babies returned from CA late the 2nd... we watched movies far into the night and spent a lazy 3rd together...  Kids can drive you crazy and push all your buttons, but when you are away from them, you miss the lil buggers...

In preparation for the annual 4th of July Peachtree Road Race, I went down to the city early on the 3rd... I have thanked my boo over and over again for choosing an apartment that is SOOOO convenient for me...  One of my close friends came to run the race with me and joined me at his place that night...  We had a girl gab fest over pizza and wine and boo surprised me by showing up... I didn't think he would make it... so now I'm grinning like an idiot... happy to have a girls night and end it with my favorite pillow.

Cherie and I got up at the ungodly hour of 5:30 to get to the race... While it only takes 15 minutes via Marta from boo's apartment, we had to plan to fight 60,000 people getting there... All in all it went smoothly... we had time to wander and check out the lay of the land, run into friends and gab, and enjoy the pre-race activities.... and the weather was perfect in the high 70's with a slight breeze...

I've run races in CA many times, this was my first GA race... I had read that they start the race in waves and knew my start time was going to be 1:07 after the first runner's start time.  I wasn't sure I was going to dig that much... especially because it was easily 6-10' warmer in that hour... but after running the race I get it and appreciate it... by breaking up 60k people into smaller, manageable waves, it's less crowded on the course... you still have to run around everyone that's walking or kinda jogging, and that kills your race pace... but it was easier to run around the people I needed to because there were less people... So BRAVO to the people who handle this part of the race.

Crossing over the finish 68 minutes later, I ran the slowest 10k I've ever run... granted I always run in Santa Cruz where it starts at 60' and ends high 70's... but I hung onto the 10-11 (10.96) minute mile pace I wanted to do and came in 841 of 3089 in my age group for women... :) Yeah baby that's the top 27% of my age group... BRING IT!  I'm never going to be the fastest in the group.. I'm the little engine that could... but I never stop to walk in a race and at nearly 46 I can totally be proud of this achievement.

While running the race I was grinning and feeling this pride and happiness to be healthy and alive... at times it would overwhelm me and I'd start to get teary... I am such a sappy idiot...  I started to giggle and wonder how the half marathon I am running in 6 months will affect me if this 10k has me this way... especially since the half marathon is for a cause... I've raised $880 so far and I have 6 months to go...   You can add to my fundraising for the American Cancer Society by copying and pasting the following link...  Thank you for your support!

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/DetermiNation/DNFY12SA?px=22831798&pg=personal&fr_id=47548

Back to this week...  the end of the race is always so exhilarating.  I kick the last .2 of a mile every time... I'm like a horse to the barn... and fly through the pack like superman...  It always amazes me the people that STOP that last .2 of a mile... Really?  Do you not SEE the end?  Get it OVER and run... :)

My PERFECT boo met Cherie and I with Screwdrivers... not the tool kind... and we wandered the post race booths... Publix... I love you!  They had tables full of bananas, cookies, bagels, nutrition bars, and last but not least, the most AMAZING peaches I've had in a long time.  Cherie and I were moaning eating them, juice dripping down our chins, and people around us were like "we've got to get some of those"...  We just looked at them, continued to moan and shake our heads yes...

Doing a race makes you appreciate things... Like crossing over the finish line and your achievement... that shower that you take that washes the smell of the race off of you...  and the meal you eat a while later... Every bite of food is glorious because you're so bloody hungry you can eat a horse...  The three of us went to the 'Nook' by Piedmont Park, ate outside and enjoyed the weather... Later on, my bff Alex, came down to join us... and the four of us went to dinner at the Steamhouse Lounge... again, outside and loving the weather and the company...  I was reveling in it all... surrounded by people I adore...  and feeling good about life...

We ended our night sitting on my sweetheart's balcony and watching all the fireworks around Atlanta.  What a day!  Thank you, all of you for your part in it... I couldn't have asked for a better day.


Today, I'm back home, waiting for my sleeping tweener babies to come back here... and I'm thinking having someone in your life that you miss before they walk away is a blessing and a curse... Wonderful to love someone that much... but when you have to be apart from them for a week or two it downright sucks... Kinda like giving up your right arm for that time... You don't know what to do without it.

I'm looking forward to my right arm, my heart of hearts to return... but I'm so glad he gets to spend time with his family and me with mine... 

As always, I walk through my garden, and think of him... New flowers are blooming on my Rose of Sharon, and Texas Hibiscus...  I snap pictures to share with him... because I know they will make him smile... 

My garden reminds me to embrace the beauty of the moment... and now... I finally, got the text from my kids... they're awake and on their way... Life was great yesterday, it will be so today, and I know it will continue to be... I'm blessed with friends, family and a man who love me... I live in a country that provides me the freedom to chase happiness, and I'm grateful to those who fight to keep it that way... Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment