Sunday, July 1, 2012

Aim For Cancer!

As I said in my last blog I signed up for DetermiNation- Team Atlanta for the Savannah, GA, half marathon.  I'll be fundraising a minimum of $1700 but hope to raise $3000.

It's been an active week for me.  I'm gearing up from running my standard 3-4 mile runs daily to be able to run 13.1 miles easily.

I ran on two of my overnights... In Evansville, IN, and Springfield, MO...

How's this for a surreal life... In 24 hours I went from this...  My 'office' on Wednesday, seen here arriving in Atlanta...

To this... the perfect antidote to spending 4 days racing across the US in a small metal tube....


Thursday we got up and cross trained by kayaking for 4 hours down the Chattahoochee.  OMG gorgeous day!  Muskrat, deer, baby ducks, and more animals were all over if you just stopped for a second and looked.  My sweetheart and I took our time and just enjoyed the peace on this river that made you think you were outside the city.  Now he's on a 'lets get kayaks' kick lol... I'd do it!  That's a great upper body workout.

We walked through the park prior to kayaking, killing time waiting for the kayak company to show... We found this passion flower vine... totally doesn't look like a real flower... I am soooo going to get seeds for my garden!!!  

Friday we took a break and wandered northern GA together.  Came home and cooked fish and veggies on the barbeque...  I have this cool new pan that works wonders on my grill... :)

Saturday was the first DetermiNation team training event...  A quick 3 miles through Piedmont Park... It was incredibly cool to see how many people are turning out to commit to this fundraiser.  Each one of these people will raise a minimum of $1700.  That's money to help people stay well from cancer through prevention and early detection, get well from cancer with free programs and support, find cancer's causes and cures through groundbreaking research, and fight back to end this disease.  I'm looking at all these people and holding back tears.

One of my coworkers is doing the event... Which is also cool... We can help support and motivate each other...

We ran yesterday before the temperatures in Atlanta reached a record breaking 106'.  This morning I told myself I needed to run this morning before it got ungodly hot.  Ran 4.5 miles at 9 and nearly killed myself.    Mental note to self:  must run at 6am for rest of summer.  By the time I was done with my run it was already 93'.  Ugh.  The only thing not wilting around me are my stargazer lilies... beautiful little troopers!

Tomorrow I get to pick up my race bib for Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta... On the 4th I'm doing a 10k... my first race in Atlanta since I've been here... I used to do them in CA all the time.  I'm motivated this year... Bring them ALL on.

I've cooled down enough that I think I can take a cold shower and not make the water turn into steam....

If you want to donate to my DetermiNation fundraiser... copy and paste this link... it should bring you to my personal page.

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/DetermiNation/DNFY12SA?px=22831798&pg=personal&fr_id=47548

Until there's a cure!

No comments:

Post a Comment