Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Aiming For Birthdays

"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it". -Lou Holtz

Fitness is a way of life.  It's not just a run today, go to the gym next month for a day, and maybe eat a protein bar instead of a twix tomorrow.  It's a lifestyle that you either embrace or don't.  We ALL have the ability to be fit.  I used to argue this with my ex husband.  He always said he didn't have time to work out because of his job.  I told him you have to FIT the work out in your schedule or you will always have excuses and you will never exercise.

Since I started flying for a living, I have carried my running gear and run on days where I had enough time.  I've loved running through cities and exploring as I run.  It's been a 'fun' thing to do, that also burns off stress.  I now have motivation to do more.  Because I am training for DetermiNation's 1/2 marathon with the American Cancer Society, I am forcing myself to get up at 7am and run.  Even if it means I have to run on the dreaded treadmill (boring).  I've found that this has had a curious affect on me... Instead of having LESS energy when I step on a plane, I have MORE energy.  I'm awake and ready to GO!

I'm looking at my trips and planning out which of the four days I'm gone I'm going to run.  I'm packing GU and protein bars, and healthy food, and ignoring the horrid airport grub.  I've lost 5 pounds in the past two weeks... my pants are getting loser already...  The long winter hibernation is falling off of me...


Now that I'm back into my fit lifestyle routine, the junk food just isn't appealing to me.  My attitude has changed.  I don't need it or want it.  It's amazing how you can set your mind to something and it just 'clicks'...  Your lifestyle choice when it comes to fitness, eating, drinking, smoking... IS all in your head.  My sweetheart was commenting on that the other day, how I just needed to find a reason... and the reason should have been for me, or for him... but he'll take the cancer fundraising as my impetus...  I laughed and said "Yeah, and the reason for you to quit your nicotine addiction should be for me or for you, but I'll take any reason."

"Touche!"

I've raised $805 of my $3,000 goal so far.  This money will fund:

Helping you stay well with tips, tools, and online resources to help people set goals and stay motivated to eat healthy and maintain an active lifestyle to reduce their risk of cancer, and by helping you take steps to prevent cancer or detect it early, when it’s most treatable. 

Helping you get well by being in your corner around the clock and providing information to help make decisions or free services like transportation to and from treatment and a place to stay when undergoing treatment away from home. 

Finding cures by funding and conducting research into cancer’s causes, cures, and treatments; we’re the largest non-governmental funder of cancer research in the United States, having spent more than $3.4 billion on cancer research since 1946. 

Fighting back by working with lawmakers everywhere to make this world a healthier place to live and rallying communities around the globe to join our fight.

Let me talk research...  My mother is a breast cancer survivor.  While she was going through chemo she was an FDA lab rat for Emend, an anti nausea drug.  She was never sick while fighting her chemo because of this wonderful drug.  A few years later it WAS approved.  Now it's out there for everyone... I thank GOD mom was able to be part of this research, for her own sake and for others.  We are fighting for a cure, AND for better treatments...  we are fighting for dignity and assistance for the survivors and their care givers.  I am so damn proud to be part of this.  I've known too many people, myself included, who have been affected by this disease.  A cure is out there.  It WILL be found.

Until there is a cure, I will fight the fight.  Help me help others have another birthday.

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/DetermiNation/DNFY12SA?px=22831798&pg=personal&fr_id=47548

No comments:

Post a Comment